Sportily following the pilgrims of St. JamesViersen
5 days on the Way of St. James
The Arnold-Janssen City of Goch, famous for its historic buildings, is the starting point for your multi-day hike. Firstly, you hike along Jakobsweg 3 along the charming Niers, the Nile of the Niederrheins.
Forget your everyday life and find your way back to yourself. Willows, wild geese and dragonflies are your faithful companions as you go. Your route leads you in Weeze past the fairytale Hertefeld Castle and the imposing Wissen Castle.
The destination for your first stage is the pilgrimage site Kevelaer. Almost one million visitors come to the biggest Marian pilgrimage site in Northwest Europe every year.
The next morning, you make your way through the idyllic landscape of the Lower Rhine to the Geldern-Walbeck asparagus farm, an absolute Mekka for all asparagus lovers. Every year, the asparagus is pricked and served freshly harvested on the feast day of St.-Johannes, 24 June. Many restaurants then offer the white gold in all forms to their guests. Perhaps you will be here at exactly the right time to finish off a lovely day of hiking by enjoying this speciality.
The destination for the next stage is the city of flowers, Straelen. On the way there, you gain insights into vegetable farming in the Straelener region and hike along the Fossa Eugeniana, which is steeped in history. Take your rucksack off your back and finish your lovely hike in the historic city centre of Straelens.
On the day of departure, a visit to the Dutch town of Venlo with its impressive Town Hall is certainly to be recommended. The monastery village of Steyl with its monastery church and the idyllic Jochumshof, where delicious treats are served, is also worth a visit. These highlights join Jakobsweg 3 further along the route.
Tips along the route:
- Goch: Museum Goch and the birthplace of Arnold Janssen/ Haus zu den Fünf Ringen/ Sus Mill/Graefenthal Monastery
- Weeze: Museum Royal Air Force Laarbruch-Weeze am Airport Weeze/ Weeze wildlife park/ Schloss Wissen/ Schloss Hertefeld
- Kevelaer: Museum for ethnology & cultural history/ historic town centre /Chapel of Mercy/ Marian Basilica
- Geldern: historical town centre/ Steprather Mill with bakehouse/ Haus Steprath/ Schloss Walbeck
- Straelen: historical town centre/ European college of translation/ Parish Church of Peter und Paul
- Venlo: Town Hall/ Ald Weishoes/ Limburgs Museum/ Chapel of van Genooy
- Steyl: Monastery church Steyl/ Mission museum Steyl/ Jochumhof
ca. 52 km
4 x overnight stays with breakfast
Infopack including maps
Parking at the starting hotel
1. Stage| Goch
2. Stage | Goch - Kevelaer (ca. 21,5 km)
3. Stage | Kevelaer - Geldern-Walbeck ( ca. 18 km)
4. Stage | Geldern-Walbeck - Straelen (ca. 12 km)
5. Stage | Straelen individual journey home
Double room per person from 319,-
Single room per person from 421,-
Ask about our group rates!
Any applicable spa or bed taxes are not included in the price and must be paid on site. Additional overnight stays possible upon request. All prices apply subject to availability at the time of booking.